SAD Mag is seeking poetry and prose submissions of up to 1,000 words related to the theme of Cheese. For this issue, we are also looking for submissions of exciting, boundary-pushing, and unconventional writing unrelated to our theme. Such submissions will be considered for inclusion in our print issue's literary spread.
All genres are welcome and we encourage both literal interpretations of our theme (eating, making, or thinking about cheese) and "cheesy" themes: sentimentality, kitsch, "lowbrow" culture, and more. Successful submissions will either be published online or appear in our print issue. Writers whose work is selected for our print issue will receive an honorarium of $50/piece.
SAD is particularly interested in publishing the work of emerging writers with a connection to Vancouver or British Columbia. (This could include having lived or studied in the province.) We also recognize that provincial borders are products of colonialism and are inclined to make exceptions for work by Indigenous writers based outside BC.
We are committed to supporting and fostering our creative community and giving a platform to voices that aren’t heard in the mainstream. We tell stories that are thought-provoking, insightful, and honest. Successful submissions tell us something we don't know, remind us of something we've forgotten, or help us look at something fraught. We are hungry for unique perspectives and distinctive voices.
Work that perpetuates racism, ageism, homophobia, biphobia, acephobia, transphobia, sexism, body-shaming, slut-shaming, ableism, or other forms of oppression will be rejected. We welcome writing that examines and challenges these issues.
- We only accept submissions via e-mail
- With your submission, include your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address
- If you don't have a BC address, tell us about your connection to the province
- Note the genre of your submission(s) and an accurate word count
- If you would like us to consider your work exclusively for our print issue, please include a note to this effect
- Please use a standard font and margins and submit your work as a doc or docx file
- In your e-mail, we ask that you include a short bio (3-4 sentences) and a note about how your work relates to SAD's mandate
- We cannot accept work that has been previously published elsewhere
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please let us know if you are submitting a piece elsewhere or if you need to withdraw your submission
- All submissions will be responded to within one month of the deadline
- Make sure you designate us as an approved sender to prevent our response from going to your spam folder (it happens!)
- If we select your work it will undergo an editing process in collaboration with a SAD editor
- SAD is volunteer run and we are not currently able to compensate our web contributors
Deadline: 11:59 PM, December 31st. Please send submissions to our Poetry & Prose Editor: firstname.lastname@example.org.